Thursday 16 June 2011

Apologies

Well, there is absolutely no excuse for it, I have not uploaded a single blog entry since I landed in ‘the pearl of the ocean’ that is Sri Lanka. This is due, mainly, to lack of organisation and laziness, but it does mean that those entries I do make now will be backed by a considerable amount of experience. I have two and a half weeks left of fieldwork before I embark on the holiday section of my trip. It will certainly be odd to switch from the role of ‘participant-observer’ in Sri Lankan village life to that of ‘tourist’ in the pockets of Sri Lanka that have been inspired, financed, and supported by western influence.

As always, I have not been working as hard as I could have and there are many things I have observed that I have not formally noted down. I figure that restarting this blog will hopefully help me to bring these things to the forefront of my mind and be able to explain them with a western audience in mind. The first entry will be an introduction of where I am and what I am doing, the following entries I hope will be more themed… we shall see…

I am currently living in a small village called Moraketiara in between the villages of Matara and Tangalle. The village is close to two other villages; Marwella North and Marwella South. These villages were heavily affected by the tsunami and there has been considerable change in the composition and functioning of the villages since the disaster of 26th December 2004. The majority of the population are part of the fishing community and each village lies close to the beach. The aim of my trip was to look at the social impact of international intervention on the village of Moraketiara. This has changed a little to focus more on what makes an intervention successful and what causes a project to be less effective. This has involved observing the school that was built by the Rotary Club as part of the ‘Schools ReAwaken’ scheme, and talking to members of the village about the aid received and the projects that are still going in the village. The biggest problem for me has been the language barrier, there are few people in the village whose English extends beyond ‘Hello, how are you?’ and ‘Where are you going?’. I have therefore had to wait for a translator to be available before I can conduct any interview. This has meant that many episodes of Scrubs has been watched, and a good number of books read that were not, admittedly, anthropologically based…

I live with a young family in the village of Moraketiara. Jayalath is an English teacher in a monastery 3 hours drive from the village. He hopes to get a job closer to home in the future, but for now he endures a six hour round trip to get to and from work, leaving at 8am and not returning until 12 hours later. His wife, Pramitha spends her day looking after their 7 month old son Miyuru and keeping the house immaculately clean. Their house is a typical one for the area. It is currently on one story, although the house is very much unfinished and is ready to receive a second floor when they can afford it. It is very common to see houses of one-and-a-bit floors with stairs up the side and struts waiting for the bricks and cement to create the next part of the building. The walls are all seemingly solid concrete and the floors are mostly painted with a red hard wearing paint. There is a ‘western’ bathroom to accommodate the University students that come once a year as part of Durham’s ‘Project Sri Lanka’ with an electric shower (hot water, bliss!). Pramitha and Jayalath use a more traditional shower and toilet set up in rooms external to the main building. The Kitchen is spread between a lean-to constructed with wooden planks and corrugated iron and a room inside with the fridge and sink.



There is a set of gas rings on which everything is cooked in the lean-to, this is where some serious good curry is prepared!
Two dogs and a cat to complete the family.

As I mentioned before the house is close to the beach. The beach is where many of the smaller boats are kept for fishing. The boats are all brightly coloured and line the sand when they are not at sea. At the end of the beach past the rocks is an area where the freshwater river meets the sea. It is like walking into a part of Peter Pan’s Neverland, without a soul around and absolutely beautiful.




So this is where I have spent my last month or so. There are been some great times, and some dull times, but even in the low parts I am still spending my weeks in a little piece of paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment